Lowercarbon Capital backs kickass companies that make real money slashing CO2 emissions, sucking carbon out of the sky, and buying us time to unf**k the planet.
One of the tools that will help drive this global transition to an economy that emits zero carbon on the whole is synthetic biology. From culturing cells into whole steaks to engineering carbon-eating enzymes, synbio holds the promise of not only reducing emissions from some of the world’s hardest-to-decarbonize sectors like chemicals, but also pulling down some of the extra carbon already swirling around Earth’s atmosphere. These are some of the areas we are aggressively investing in, and we are looking for a big thinking, alarmingly adventurous technical whiz to come join us.
As the Synbio Associate, you will primarily support technical analysis and help source investment targets, but the full scope of the role will include:
- Diligence: You will support scientific and technical diligence of companies and initiatives being considered for investment. Additionally, you will help define priority areas for investment in service of the mission to lower carbon by reducing emissions and removing atmospheric CO2.
- Research: Keeping a close eye on academic, startup, and non-profit circles, you will track new research, emerging technologies, and other developments in synthetic biology with the potential to mitigate climate change and accelerate carbon removal.
- Content: Among our unique advantages is to communicate information on behalf of narrow communities of practice to broader audiences such as media, investors, and technologists through writing and press. Expect to play a role in that.
Progress in each of these areas will be summarized in regular reports to partners detailing new developments, tracking goals, and outlining future work.
Skills & Background
This list of qualifications is intended to highlight characteristics we believe most essential to have immediate success in this role, but there is a wide range of potentially relevant professional and academic experiences. Beyond this, we feel it is important to note that while a background in investing or start-ups could be valuable in this role, we do not consider these prerequisites and look forward to meeting with a diverse group of candidates.
- You possess an advanced degree or equivalent experience that provides you with a deep understanding of synthetic biology and its applications to climate-relevant industries
- You possess a broader scientific fluency that enables you to evaluate the potential of a diverse range of climate solutions spanning energy, industry, transportation, agriculture, and beyond
- You hold an open-mind toward emerging and often outlandish technologies, and your first instinct is to ask how they scale
- You are an excellent written and verbal communicator capable of formulating persuasive investment recommendations, as well as presenting in public
- You are self-motivated and capable of defining goals for themselves and helping to shape them for the organization
- You enjoy working on multiple projects simultaneously
We believe diversity is a source of strength. Lowercarbon Capital is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by law.
How to Apply
If you’re interested in applying for this position, please send the following materials to email@example.com with the subject line, “[YOUR LAST NAME] Synbio Associate application”:
- One-page résumé, attached or linked
- Names and email for two references
- Cover letter in the body of the email. In this letter, please discuss 1-2 specific applications of synthetic biology that you think have been overlooked in their ability to reduce emissions or remove CO2 from our atmosphere and oceans? Tell us what kinds of challenges these applications face (e.g. technical/scientific hurdles remain, cost barriers, regulatory, ethical).