Lowercarbon Capital backs kickass companies that make real money slashing CO2 emissions, sucking carbon out of the sky, and buying us time to unf**k the planet. We invest in early-stage companies that combine hard science with some bonkers ambitions to decarbonize all sectors of the economy, remove billions of tons of CO2 straight out of the atmosphere, and buy more time for people and ecosystems getting hit first and worst by rising temperatures.
We’re looking for an Associate to play a key role in our investment team and develop as a leader in the climate space. You’ll work closely with our founders, partners, and climate experts. You’ll be responsible for supporting our innovation flow processes to ensure nothing falls through the cracks, supporting research and diligence for deals in process, building out specific sectoral and market theses, and other tasks in the day-to-day running of a venture capital fund.
As an Associate, your time will be spent:
- Supporting innovation flow: You’ll build and manage internal systems and processes for tracking deals, keep records updated, and ensure nothing falls through the cracks.
- Gauging inbound: You’ll take a first pass at the companies coming our way through various inbound channels and flag the most interesting opportunities for follow-up.
- Diligencing promising opportunities: You’ll do market research, competitive analysis, customer calls, expert interviews, and talk to other investors who are looking at the same opportunities.
- Researching and building out investment theses: You’ll do background research on specific questions and areas of interest so that you and the rest of the team can come to pitch meetings prepared with strong opinions.
Skills & Background
This list of qualifications is intended to highlight characteristics we believe are most essential to have immediate success in this role, but there is a wide range of potentially relevant professional and academic experiences. Beyond this, we feel it is important to note that while a background in investing or start-ups could be valuable in this role, we do not consider these prerequisites and look forward to meeting with a diverse group of candidates.
- Mission-oriented: Perhaps most importantly, curiosity alone doesn’t drive you. You’re driven by the need to meaningfully address the challenge of our lifetime.
- Scientific training: You have a degree or training in synthetic biology, physics, atmospheric sciences, machine learning, materials science, mechanical engineering, or another relevant STEM field.
- High ownership: When someone hands you the ball, you take it across the finish line, knowing when to pull up to get feedback and flagging barriers early. You are not afraid to ask questions but err toward having hypotheses or recommendations ready to go alongside them.
- Ability to take initiative: You’re a hustler both internally and externally. Sending cold emails is what you do for fun.
- Creative thinker: You enjoy thinking about big problems and exploring hard (and sometimes outlandish) solutions. You’re comfortable admitting what you don’t know, nurturing the creativity of others, and being open to feedback.
- Analytical prowess: You can build Excel models in your sleep. You know the right questions to ask, the right data to gather, and how to tease out insights without boiling the ocean.
- Excellent verbal and written communicator: You’re able to engage with a diverse range of stakeholders in-person and comfortable drafting memos or written works for various internal and external audiences.
- Holistic research abilities: You have a curious sensibility, anchor on the right concepts quickly, and go deep enough to be credible in the targeted subject. You know where to go to track down the information you need (including experts in your network).
- Highly attentive to detail: You take pride in the accuracy and polish of your work. Whether it’s an internal memo or a conference presentation, you sweat the details.
- Task Juggler: You enjoy working on multiple projects simultaneously and can switch gears quickly.
How to Apply
If you’re interested in applying for this position, please submit an application here.
We believe diversity is a source of strength. Lowercarbon Capital is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by law.